Thursday, April 8, 2010

Be an Encourager - The One Encouraged Might Just Be You

I find that God is regularly providing opportunities for me to be an encouragement to others.  Sometimes I miss them or get distracted with my own issues.  But when I'm paying attention to the prompting of the Spirit, and obeying His leadings, then people get encouraged.

One of the books I'm reading now (Spiritual Leadership, by Henry & Richard Blackaby) provided another dose of encouragement to me tonight about, well, encouragement.  Blackaby says that spiritual leaders constantly look to recognize the success of others and give encouragement and support as well.  To take this a step further, I believe it's also important to encourage others in their growing relationship with the Lord.  We are to seek to glorify God in all that we are and all that we do.  Giving encouragement to one another helps us succeed in this goal.

What typically happens is this - when you encourage someone else, it usually comes right back to you.  It may be simply in the satisfaction of being an encourager to someone who needs it.  The Lord may also measure it back to you through the encouragement of someone else.  Either way, both parties win.

I received some nice, timely encouragement through an email tonight.  God knew what I had been struggling with this week, and he used a specific person to give me the encouragement I needed tonight to keep the faith and keep fighting the fight.  Man, God is good!

So, here's my encouragement to you.  Pray and ask the Lord to give you a list of five (5) people you know that you can encourage in the next 48 hours.  Then, pray about ways to give that encouragement - phone call, email, card, letter, visit, make a meal, etc.  Finally, go and give the encouragement.

Do all this as unto the Lord.  Fully pleasing Him, not to bring glory to yourself, not expecting anything in return.  And watch what God can do, for the ones you encourage - and probably for yourself as well.

Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment