Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Mother's Legacy

My mother and father passed away within 7 months of each other six years ago. Man, it seems like the time has flown by so quickly. I must confess that as their son I didn't fully stop to appreciate the legacy they left behind until they were with the Lord. But even this week, God showed me again how my mother's legacy still lives on here today.

I saw an old friend at Target over the weekend. We exchanged some casual conversation, quickly catching up on family news and our current victories and challenges. Then my friend mentioned that his sister was struggling with some issues related to her marriage. She had some similar struggles many years ago, and it seems they had returned.

My friend pointed out that his sister commented how much my mother had encouraged her during the previous trial. She stated that Faye (my mom) was there through the tough times before, and she didn't know how she would make it without her again. My friend told me that my mom let his sister use her Bible for a time, providing some bookmarks for specific passages that would help. Mom told her to read those passages and seek the Lord. My friend and his sister really miss my mom.

And so do I. My mom endured a number of difficult health issues during her lifetime. She endured with God's grace & mercy as my dad was an alcoholic. And she played an important part in dad's sobriety for the last 25 years or so of his life. Mom never gave up on my dad. And I saw God do a miracle in their marriage, where they were more in love at the end than ever before. She worked hard all her life and gave me so much. But her legacy is best seen in her servant's heart and desire to minister to others, just like my friend's sister. And she ministered to me as well, more times than I can ever name.

Thanks, Mom, for your godly legacy to so many people. Only heaven will be able to measure the length & width & depth of your influence for Jesus Christ. And God has used you to make me the man I am today.

A legacy that still lives on today......

Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment