Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Father's Legacy

My last post talked about my mother's legacy for the Lord. My dad's story is a little different, but the legacy he has left for me is no less important. And in fact, my dad's testimony demonstrates God's grace & mercy like few others.

My dad was an alcoholic. I remember seeing how this devastated his life and almost the entirety of our family. He and my mom were fighting regularly, and since I was the oldest, I was a spectator of how alcohol and selfishness almost cost them their marriage on several occasions. There were times I cried over what was happening at home. I also confess that once I went to college, there were many times I avoided going home on weekends and breaks because of what I expected to find there.

As a side note, while the Bible does not say "thou shalt not drink", it does give a wealth of warnings about strong drink. And don't throw those typical responses back at me: "well, Jesus drank wine"; "Jesus turned water into wine"; etc. I have yet to meet anyone, believer or unbeliever, who can accurately define for me where the dividing line is for responsible drinking, much less how much you have to drink to be intoxicated or drunk. Plus I have first hand experience with what alcohol can do to a life and a family. So, to those who say it's ok for a believer to drink, I say: can you drink alcohol to the glory of God? Does this help you fulfill the command of Scripture to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind"? Enough said. Off my soapbox now.

As devastating as alcohol was for my dad, God's grace & mercy was much greater. He was sober for the last 25 years or so of his life. That was not accomplished by his effort - it was all about God. God restored my dad and his marriage in a glorious way. Dad was transformed by God, and he committed himself to God's will and work. He loved to talk about heaven and how God had delivered him from alcohol. He invested more than ever before in my mom, my brother, and me. What a glorious change!

Possibly the most important change I saw in my dad was with mom. Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given only 6 months to live (by God's grace, she lived 2+ years!). I saw my dad humble himself and care for his wife completely, doing things for her that would be hard for most men to do for their wives, or anyone else for that matter. He and I cried together one day when he told me that he loved mom so much and couldn't imagine living without her. God's timing allowed dad to reach heaven 7 months before mom. And now they are worshiping the Lord together.

My dad has left a defining legacy for me. I pray that God will continue to change me every day, just like He did my dad. I especially pray that I can become more like the husband he was, caring for my wife and children for God's glory. Even when it's difficult and requires me to lay down everything for them. Thank you, Lord, for my father's Godly legacy to me.

Pastor Randy

1 comment:

  1. Hello, dear brother. I had no idea you were keeping a personal blog! Thank you for your transparency, your witness and loving kindness over the years. Only the Lord knows just how much mercy you and the entire family have shown to me.

    I am taken aback that you talk about shedding tears. I confess that through all of our life, I don't recall ever seeing you cry! Not even when I hit you with the tennis racket as kids : )

    You have been a rock for our family. I have been more like Patrick Star - who sleeps under the rock!

    Glory be to God for our parents and for all the laughter, tears, hope and faith they planted in our hearts...through Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete