Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Roadmap

Each year I create a set of goals for the new year.  I call this a roadmap, not resolutions.  I don't like resolutions, mainly because I can never keep them.  I prefer a roadmap, much like I used when I was a worship pastor in the local church.

A roadmap is something that I create under the leadership of the Spirit and the Word.  It's a set of goals and objectives based on how I believe God is leading me.  Since He leads me in this, that means the goals are not completely different from year to year.  Usually they just get refined and get more and more specific.  This roadmap is something that God can change and refine in me throughout the year, as He leads.  That's what makes this different than your typical resolutions.  If I don't keep a resolution, I just shrug my shoulders and say maybe next year.  If I don't hit a goal in the roadmap, I get convicted by the Spirit and must make the changes necessary to get back on track.

I will confess that while I reorganized my roadmap a lot this year, the content didn't really change very much.  Along with that process came enormous conviction that I didn't do so well with my goals in 2014.  I got caught up in the busyness of life last year and only realized what had happened the few times I went back to the roadmap during the year.  My commitment is to do regular checkpoints in 2015.  But I'm trusting God to do this work in me.  I've shown that I can't do it on my own.

My roadmap has a lot of detail in it, which I believe is required in order to ensure success.  Details and measurements are critical.  I won't share all those details in this blog post.  But I will share the high level goals I have from the Lord for 2015.

I encourage you to consider doing the same as we start the new year.  Spend time in prayer along with the Scriptures.  Seek God on the things He desires.  Then strap in for a great 2015 as He leads.

2015 Roadmap

1.  Love God through daily spiritual growth to be a reflection of Christ & a faithful witness of Him.

2.  Shepherd my family as my primary ministry priority.

3.  Fulfill God's call of ministry on me as a husband, father, minister, teacher, leader, & servant.

4.  Love others by investing in relationships that display the Gospel to them.

In addition, I really like a recent post by Alvin Reid (alvinreid.com) that speaks to some great goals for the new year.  Here are a few of his thoughts, which I will also look to adopt in 2015 and in the future:

1.  Focus daily on your calling.

2.  Value margin.

3.  Learn to say "NO".

4.  Learn to delegate.

5.  Value spiritual disciplines & Sabbaths, including personal retreats.

6.  Exercise and eat well.

7.  Focus on individuals more than crowds.

I'm praying you'll be successful in 2015 by focusing on God's roadmap for you.

Mr. B.


No comments:

Post a Comment