Friday, November 15, 2013

Questions You Should Not Ask


They say there's no such thing as a dumb question, right?  Well, maybe there aren't any dumb questions, but for my middle school students, there sure are some questions you probably shouldn't ask.  At least not ask your teacher anyway.

A few weeks ago, after hearing a few of these types of questions repeatedly one day, I decided to create this list.  Now, just so you know, I didn't do this alone.  In fact, I asked my homeroom students to help me.  In fact, they generated almost all of these questions without my assistance.  So the funny thing is....they already know these are questions they probably shouldn't ask their teachers.  Talk about irony....

The big idea with these questions is that they reveal the fact that the students who ask them either didn't study for the test or were not paying attention the first time.  Or they are too focused on the grade and not learning the concepts.  Or just not listening.....

So here's the list.  Enjoy.  I laugh out loud every time I read it.

Mr. B.


Questions You Probably Shouldn’t Ask Your Teacher

1. Is this going to be on the quiz?

2. Are you taking this for a grade?

3. Is this for completion or accuracy?

4. When are we ever going to use this in life?

5. I don’t get it. (By the way, that’s not even a question).

6. Do we have to write this down?

7. Is this on our homework?

8. Can I just ……?

9. Do we need our calculators (markers, erasers, red pens, pencils, books, etc.) today?

10. What page are we on?

11. Do I write this in pen or pencil?

12. Can we start on homework?

13. Can we leave class a minute early?

14. I didn’t know…..

15. Is it ok if I do that a different way?

16. Do we have a quiz today?

17. Do we have to do the homework?

18. I just forgot my question.

19. No wait, how did you do that?

20. Can you repeat that?

21. What number was that?

22. Have you graded my test?

No comments:

Post a Comment