Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pray Without Ceasing - Making the Most of the Moment

The Bible tells us an important part of our prayer life.  1 Thess. 5:18 tells us to "rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  The key part I want to focus on is praying without ceasing.

One of the ways I try to apply this in my life involves stopping to pray when a need arises.  We all lead very busy lives these days.  It is quite likely that if someone asks me to pray about something during the day, I may forget about it later when I have more time to pray.  Now, I should always strive to write these things down so I don't forget.  But sometimes the opportunity to write something down is also not easy.  Rather, what I try to do is to pause either at that moment or within a few minutes to pray for the need.  I try to do the same later on, stopping to pray for the need as God reminds me of it.

I try to do the same type of thing throughout the day as needs come to mind.  This is especially true when praying for my family, our school, our church, and other important things.  I believe it's important to follow through when I tell someone I'm going to pray for them.  I also hope others will do the same for me.  One of the things I use Facebook and Twitter for is to pray for others.  If I see something come through these tools that calls people to pray for a need, I try to pray for that need at that time.

I'm not trying to elevate myself in this.  I assure you I have a lot to learn about prayer.  But God has just shown me that this is an effective way for me to pray.  I hope it is also an encouragement to others.

Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment