Monday, July 26, 2010

There's No "I" in Team

I read a story on ESPN.com this morning about Dez Bryant, the new rookie wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys.  Seems this guy has a lot of potential and will likely be a valuable asset to the team.  But it seems to me he's got the wrong perspective on things.

Anyone who knows much of anything about the NFL knows that rookies normally endure some hazing during their first training camp.  It's a rite of passage as these new players become part of the team.  In this case, Roy WIlliams, one of the starting receivers, wanted Bryant to carry his pads after practice.  Given some of the things rookies are typically asked to do, this wasn't too bad.  Bryant responded:

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads.  If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads."

I think Bryant is missing the bigger point.  Pride has a way of convincing us that we're too valuable and important to do certain things.  I believe he will suffer longer term consequences for this choice.  He is part of a team.  He will never win a game alone, unless he snaps the ball to himself, drops back to pass, launches a deep pass, and in a Forrest Gump-like manner, runs underneath his own pass, catches it in dramatic style, and runs for a touchdown.  If that happens, you've got an ESPN top 10 moment.  I don't see that happening.
 
In the Christian life, we need to remember this as well.  Jesus Christ came to earth, not as the triumphant King, but as a servant.  He came to seek and to save that which was lost.  He gave His life for us.  He also gave us the example to follow in so many ways, including washing the disciples' feet.  Plus, He calls us to follow His example in serving others.  This service demonstrates Christlike love, which will show others we are His disciples.
 
I'm living out this truth this week during Vacation Bible School at our church.  First, I'm seeing many people serving the children and their families as we share Christ.  As a staff member, I greatly appreciate their dedication and sacrifice to see Christ magnified and known.  Second, God is reminding me personally of what being a servant is all about.  It would be easy for me to sit back and relax and say, let others do the work and I'll just supervise.  That doesn't work in the kingdom of God.  Yesterday, I had the pleasure of serving others by moving furniture, playing with kids, encouraging those already serving, being willing to be in the background while others lead, and more.  I praise Him for how He's developing our VBS team for His glory.
 
I don't want this to sound prideful in any way, because God is humbling me in so many ways.  It's just a testimony of how He's raising up others to serve and lead, while teaching me that it's not all about me.  Praise the Lord for that!  I'll never be ready to do it all myself.  Trust me - I've tried.....and failed.  But I love seeing God work in His people for His purpose.  And that can only lead to God-sized results.  To God be the glory!
 
Pastor Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment